ham exam 3 General Pretest
1. Where is an S meter found?
- A. In a transmitter
- B. In a receiver
- C. In an SWR bridge
- D. In a conductance bridge
2. Which statement about a three-element; single-band Yagi antenna is true?
- A. The reflector is normally the longest parasitic element
- B. All of the elements must be the same length
- C. The reflector is normally the shortest parasitic element
- D. The director is normally the longest parasitic element
3. What language must you use when identifying your station if you are using a language other than English in making a contact using phone emission?
- A. English
- B. Any language of a country that is a member of the ITU
- C. The language being used for the contact
- D. Any language if the US has a third party agreement with that country
4. What happens to HF propagation when the Lowest Usable Frequency (LUF) exceeds the Maximum Usable Frequency (MUF)?
- A. Double hop propagation along the path is more common
- B. HF communications over the path are enhanced
- C. No HF radio frequency will support ordinary skywave communications over the path
- D. Propagation over the path on all HF frequencies is enhanced
5. Approximately how long does it take the increased ultraviolet and X-ray radiation from solar flares to affect radio-wave propagation on the Earth?
- A. 20 to 40 hours
- B. 1 to 2 hours
- C. 8 minutes
- D. 28 days
6. Which of the following is a limitation on transmitter power on the 14 MHz band?
- A. Power must be limited to 200 watts when transmitting between 14.100 MHz and 14.150 MHz
- B. Power should be limited as necessary to avoid interference to another radio service on the frequency
- C. Only the minimum power necessary to carry out the desired communications should be used
- D. Effective radiated power cannot exceed 3000 watts
7. What should be the impedance of a low-pass filter as compared to the impedance of the transmission line into which it is inserted?
- A. Substantially lower
- B. Substantially higher
- C. Twice the transmission line impedance
- D. About the same
8. What is a characteristic of HF scatter signals?
- A. They have high intelligibility
- B. They have very large swings in signal strength
- C. They have a wavering sound
- D. All of these choices are correct
9. How does the FCC require an amateur station to be operated in all respects not specifically covered by the Part 97 rules?
- A. In conformance with the rules of the IARU
- B. All of these choices are correct
- C. In conformance with good engineering and good amateur practice
- D. In conformance with Amateur Radio custom
10. What precaution should be taken when installing a ground-mounted antenna?
- A. It should not be installed higher than you can reach
- B. It should not be installed in a wet area
- C. It should be installed so no one can be exposed to RF radiation in excess of maximum permissible limits
- D. It should limited to 10 feet in height
11. Why is it good to match receiver bandwidth to the bandwidth of the operating mode?
- A. It minimizes power consumption in the receiver
- B. It improves impedance matching of the antenna
- C. It is required by FCC rules
- D. It results in the best signal to noise ratio
12. What is the minimum wire size that may be safely used for a circuit that draws up to 20 amperes of continuous current?
- A. AWG number 8
- B. AWG number 16
- C. AWG number 20
- D. AWG number 12
13. What is the capacitance of a 20 microfarad capacitor in series with a 50 microfarad capacitor?
- A. 14.3 microfarads
- B. .07 microfarads
- C. 70 microfarads
- D. 1000 microfarads
14. How many watts of electrical power are used by a 12-VDC light bulb that draws 0.2 amperes?
- A. 24 watts
- B. 6 watts
- C. 60 watts
- D. 2.4 watts
15. Which of the following can perform automatic notching of interfering carriers?
- A. Balanced mixing
- B. A Digital Signal Processor (DSP) filter
- C. A noise limiter
- D. Band-pass tuning
16. Which of the following describes the function of a two input AND gate?
- A. Output is low only when both inputs are high
- B. Output is low when either or both inputs are high
- C. Output is high when either or both inputs are low
- D. Output is high only when both inputs are high
17. Which of the following modes is most commonly used for voice communications on the 160, 75, and 40 meter bands?
- A. Lower sideband
- B. Vestigial sideband
- C. Upper sideband
- D. Double sideband
18. What item of test equipment contains horizontal and vertical channel amplifiers?
- A. An ammeter
- B. A signal generator
- C. An ohmmeter
- D. An oscilloscope
19. What unit is used to measure reactance?
- A. Farad
- B. Ohm
- C. Siemens
- D. Ampere
20. What skills learned during "hidden transmitter hunts" are of help to the Amateur Auxiliary?
- A. Hunters have an opportunity to transmit on non-amateur frequencies
- B. Identification of out of band operation
- C. Identification of different call signs
- D. Direction finding used to locate stations violating FCC Rules
21. What is the approximate length for a 1/2-wave dipole antenna cut for 3.550 MHz?
- A. 84 feet
- B. 42 feet
- C. 263 feet
- D. 131 feet
22. Which of the following phone emissions uses the narrowest frequency bandwidth?
- A. Phase modulation
- B. Single sideband
- C. Double sideband
- D. Frequency modulation
23. What does the Q signal "QRQ" mean?
- A. Quitting operation
- B. Zero beat my signal
- C. Slow down
- D. Send faster
24. What is the reason for the occurrence of reflected power at the point where a feed line connects to an antenna?
- A. A difference between feed-line impedance and antenna feed-point impedance
- B. Using more transmitter power than the antenna can handle
- C. Operating an antenna at its resonant frequency
- D. Feeding the antenna with unbalanced feed line
25. What type of device is often used to enable matching the transmitter output to an impedance other than 50 ohms?
- A. Balanced modulator
- B. Q Multiplier
- C. Antenna coupler
- D. SWR Bridge
26. Which of the following is a characteristic of a liquid crystal display?
- A. It has a wide viewing angle
- B. It requires ambient or back lighting
- C. It offers a wide dynamic range
- D. All of these choices are correct
27. When must you add the special identifier "AG" after your call sign if you are a Technician Class licensee and have a CSCE for General Class operator privileges, but the FCC has not yet posted your upgrade on its Web site?
- A. Whenever you operate using Technician frequency privileges
- B. Whenever you operate on any amateur frequency
- C. A special identifier is not required as long as your General Class license application has been filed with the FCC
- D. Whenever you operate using General Class frequency privileges
28. What portion of the AC cycle is converted to DC by a half-wave rectifier?
- A. 180 degrees
- B. 90 degrees
- C. 360 degrees
- D. 270 degrees
29. Which of the following is a disadvantage of using wind as the primary source of power for an emergency station?
- A. The voltage and current ratings of such systems are not compatible with amateur equipment
- B. The conversion efficiency from mechanical energy to electrical energy is less than 2 percent
- C. A large energy storage system is needed to supply power when the wind is not blowing
- D. All of these choices are correct
30. What segment of the 20 meter band is most often used for data transmissions?
- A. 14.000 - 14.050 MHz
- B. 14.275 - 14.350 MHz
- C. 14.070 - 14.100 MHz
- D. 14.150 - 14.225 MHz
31. When is it acceptable to recharge a carbon-zinc primary cell?
- A. As long as the voltage has not been allowed to drop below 1.0 volt
- B. Never
- C. When a constant current charger is used
- D. When the cell is kept warm during the recharging period
32. Which of the following frequencies is within the General Class portion of the 20 meter phone band?
- A. 14005 kHz
- B. 14405 kHz
- C. 14105 kHz
- D. 14305 kHz
33. What is a common name for an inductor used to help smooth the DC output from the rectifier in a conventional power supply?
- A. Filter choke
- B. Back EMF choke
- C. Charging inductor
- D. Repulsion coil
34. When selecting a CW transmitting frequency, what minimum frequency separation should you allow in order to minimize interference to stations on adjacent frequencies?
- A. 3 to 6 kHz
- B. 1 to 3 kHz
- C. 150 to 500 Hz
- D. 5 to 50 Hz
35. Which of the following is an advantage of a log periodic antenna?
- A. Harmonic suppression
- B. Higher gain per element than a Yagi antenna
- C. Wide bandwidth
- D. Polarization diversity